Code of Conduct for Freehold events
We are committed to making our events and networking sessions as safe, respectful, inclusive and enjoyable as possible. Our events draw a wide variety of attendees with different identities, views and experiences so it is important that everyone has a common understanding of appropriate behaviour.
We require all attendees of our events to follow this code of conduct. By requesting a place at an event and/or by attending you will be deemed to have agreed to comply with this code of conduct.
If you think you might have difficulty understanding or following this code of conduct, please let us know before the start of the event so that we can assist you.
- Respect each other’s identities and sexualities, names and pronouns at all times.
- If you are unsure of the pronoun someone uses ask them or avoid gendered language, e.g. use “they” instead of “he” or “she”.
- Be inclusive and supportive of those who are less confident or who have communication difficulties so that everyone can contribute.
- Listen to and follow the instructions of the host, including their decisions about what is off-topic and who is next to speak and for how long.
- Friendly constructive discussion is welcomed but personal insults and demeaning or argumentative comments are not acceptable.
- Avoid using offensive terms during the meetings including but not limited to biphobic, transphobic, homophobic, racist and sexist language.
Equality and Diversity
- Accept people’s self-identified gender for all purposes.
- Everyone is entitled to use whichever toilet they self-define as most appropriate for their gender identity and/or gender expression.
- Avoid negative comments, assumptions and stereotyping of people on the basis of their gender identity, gender expression, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, nationality, class, disability, religion, beliefs, age, accent or culture or otherwise.
- Keep personal information about others private and only share if they have given you permission.
- Do not disclose someone’s membership Freehold without their consent.
- Get permission before publicly identifying any event attendee, including on personal blogs, websites and social networking sites, e.g. Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
- Ensure you have permission from everyone with their face visible in shot before taking a photograph.
- Ensure you have permission from everyone who might be recorded before starting any audio or film recording.
- If you believe someone has photographed, audio recorded or filmed you without your permission, you may ask them to delete the image/recording or urgently contact any of the event organisers or host for assistance.
- Freehold will not publish information, photographs or recordings which may identify members or attendees without their permission.
- Freehold will not share any information about members or attendees without permission unless necessary due to safety concerns.
- Attendees should always conduct themselves in a respectful and courteous manner during our events.
- Attendees may leave a session or event at any time without explanation.
- Any attendee who causes damage to property will be held liable.
- The use or possession of illicit drugs is never permitted during our events.
- Excessive drinking and disorderly behaviour will not be tolerated during our events.
- Shouting, swearing, harassing, threatening or humiliating behaviour (verbal, physical or sexual) towards others is unacceptable.
What happens if the Code of Conduct is broken?
Please let us know as soon as possible if you experience or witness anything that makes you feel uncomfortable or which may be in breach of the Code of Conduct. Even if you do not want any action to be taken, please still let us know.
You can tell us during the event itself or contact us afterwards via email.
Examples of things we can do:
- listen to you in a private space
- talk to the others involved
- ask for an apology
- exclude them from the rest of the event
- exclude them from future events
Breaches of the Code of Conduct will be dealt with at the discretion of Freehold. Freehold may also make other reasonable requests that are not specifically included here or take other action if necessary.
If you have any questions, please contact any member of the Freehold Board.